Dad and I put our textbooks out for Saraswati Puja.
"So why do you write these strong female characters?"
"Because you’re still asking me this question"
They’re one of the most famous quotes associated with Joss but the origin and context of these remarks aren’t as widely known. They actually come from a speech at an Equality Now award ceremony back in 2006. The video has the speech in full.
Worth watching if you’ve heard the quote without the context before.
Watching the sun drop into the mud desert of Little Rann
Terrible picture, I know. I kinda cheated for the contest. Chose a random, old pic. Of mine, but still.
Même dans une ville
Toute en mouvement,
Même dans une ville
Même dans les rues
Au grand soleil,
Des oasis existent
Pour ceux qui les connaissent.
I find this song oddly hypnotic. Goosebumps. No idea why.
Ok… maybe some idea.
I want to say, “Awww”, but I remember who these two characters are. Then I grin at the awesomeness of Joss Whedon instead.
Yesterday was an important day. I wrote my first Haiku. It was a French Haiku.
On s’angoisse ce soir
Les mots n’arrivent pas en tête
Haiku en français.
The teacher said only, “Bravo”.
I think I am quite proud of my first attempt.
I think annoyance brings out my creative side.
- Little Italy Ristorante, Vadodara, Gujarat, India. Mom's birthday dinner is happening, when I discover some real-life, honest-to-goodness, Italians at the next table.
- Unable to hold it in by the end of the meal,
- Me: Buonasera! Sei Italiano?
- (loud laughter)Bert: Si, si. Parli italiano?
- Me: (sheepish) Si, parlo italiano. Un po.
- Me: Vivo Parigi.
- Bert: Ah... si, si. Ohdiohaiunaccentoterribile.
- Me: ... Grazie.
- Me: Muolto bene..?
- (Me: (down to my last bits of italian, i contemplate) Vorrei una bottiglia di vino rosso.)
- Me: Arrivederci. (sprint for the exit)
An image of a page from The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy, describing The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy, on an e-reader that resembles The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy.
[I feel like I’m breaking my own rules for what is allowed on this blog but it’s a quote, look]
For the uninitiated, it’s based on the first scene in the first episode of the Nickelodeon series, The Legend of Korra.
The last panel is hilarious.